An unattended candle is said to be the cause of a fire in a duplex Monday evening.
All occupants escaped safely without injury from the house at 604 East 9th Street in Auburn. The Auburn Fire Department was called at 6:34 p.m. with a report of smoke coming from the home. Firefighters arrived at 6:38 p.m. to find heavy smoke coming from the front door of the house and once they entered, responders discovered a fire in the living room and quickly extinguished it.
Fire had extended into the ceiling and a portion of the roof. Firefighters declared the fire to be under control at 6:52 p.m., and then returned to their stations at 8:38 p.m.
The Garrett Fire Department, Parkview DeKalb EMS, and Auburn Police assisted at the scene. The Butler Fire Department stood watch at Auburn Fire Station 1.
(07-15-2020) Two New Cases of COVID-19 Reported In DeKalb County
(07-15-2020) Whitmer Extends Declaration of Emergency In Michigan
(07-14-2020) Steuben County’s Third Resident Dies From COVID-19
(07-14-2020) Indiana $600 FPUC Payments Set to Expire Soon
(07-14-2020) State Police Drug Investigation Results in Arrests
(07-14-2020) Steuben County United Way Gives Aid for Hunger Relief
(07-14-2020) Police Immunity Rollback Bill Officially Dead
(07-14-2020) Authorities Looking for Fugitive in the Tri-State Region
(07-14-2020) Negotiations Between Parkview And Anthem Continue
(07-14-2020) Virus Fears Shuts Down Northern Indiana Tourist Attraction
(07-14-2020) Smith Addresses Enforcement Of Executive Order
(07-14-2020) LaGrange Co. Chamber Of Commerce Has Masks
(07-14-2020) Indiana Clears 52,000 Mark In COVID-19 Cases
(07-14-2020) Indiana Rental Assistance Portal Now Active
(07-13-2020) Man Arrested After Shots Fired In Sturgis
(07-13-2020) Coldwater Chamber Of Commerce Cancels Events
(07-13-2020) Sunny Skies Expected To Start Work Week